Friday, February 21, 2014

Tangled by Emma Chase (Tangled #1)

17951186Blurb: Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating.

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life?

Can Drew Evans win at love? 


 4.5/5 Hearts





“Newsflash, ladies: We can’t read your thoughts. And frankly, I’m not entirely sure I’d want to. The female mind is a scary place to be.” 
 
When I started reading this book I wasn't sure I was going to like it. You're not just reading a story, but the main guy - Drew is actually telling you the story. This took a bit of getting used to for me. Unlike most other new adult books, this book is told from the point of view the guy - Drew. 

“You know on TV when there’s one of those awkward, shocking moments and all you hear are the crickets in the background?
Well chirp fucking chirp...this is one of those moments.”

In the beginning of the book, I really didn't like Drew. He's a pompous selfish ass who thinks he's gods gift to women. He treats women like dirt and sometimes the crudeness made me feel a little uncomfortable. But when he starts to enteract with a new co-worker at his business, Kate, I started to like him better. The story was at times very funny and had me laughing out loud.

“It makes me want to kiss her and strangle her at the same time. I’ve never been into S&M. But I’m beginning to see its benefits.” 

I really liked Kate from the start. She's a strong, no nonsense girl and the banter between the two characters was at times very funny. As the story continued I started to like Drew more and more and I actually hoped the two of them would end up together. The heat is really there and you can sense the sexual tension as they get to know each other better. It was a very enjoyable read and I'm curious to find out how the story continues once the second book becomes available.

“She talks like you. It’s not every day you hear a four-year-old say Prince Charming is a douchebag who’s only holding Cinderella back.”
"That’s my girl.” 

I didn't give this book 5 stars because, as most New adult books, it was very predictable and didn't really bring anything new to the table - except the male point of view. I also thought the writer was unnecessarily crude at times which annoyed me a little. But other than that I really enjoyed it and I'd recommend it to somebody looking for an entertaining story with lots of (explicit) sexual tension.

Read in August 2013. The next book will be from Kate's POV.

No comments:

Post a Comment